Get Free Estimate (408) 316-6293
 
Go to Top

Home Renovations and Your Health

Milpitas, CA window replacement is part of a healthy home renovation. If you live in an older home, you make be experiencing random health symptoms that could be related to the materials used to build your home. Some of these might be an unexplained chronic cough, sneezing fits, occasionally trouble breathing, frequent headaches, and mysterious rashes.

Sick building syndrome is more widely known for its effect on industrial and commercial buildings, but it can be having an effect on your home. If you spend a lot of time in a structure and there are indoor air pollutants within that structure, you are likely going to experience some negative health effects.

A simple way to start tackling sick building syndrome in your home is to regularly ventilate it by opening windows and doing a deep cleaning. However, this may not solve all of the health effects that you and your family are dealing with, so the next step is to start removing the sources of indoor pollution.

Toxic mold (also known as black mold) is a common indoor pollutant. Although most species of mold are not aggressively toxic – black mold is – mold releases minute amounts of mycotoxins that can be harmful to human health. Children, the elderly, and people with compromised immune systems are most vulnerable to the effects of these mycotoxins. Mycotoxins can also contribute to chronic sinus infections in healthy people and can cause headaches, allergic responses, and wheezing.

Mold grows in places where there is a lot of moisture. Generally, if you smell a musty scent anywhere in your home, then the mold is the likely culprit. Bathrooms, basements, and laundry rooms are the most common areas of the home where mold is found. The best remedy for removing mold is to remove it and take preventative action to keep it from coming back. This can be done by increasing the amount of light and properly ventilating bathrooms and laundry rooms and sealing basement walls where water can seep in.

Lead paint is another source of toxicity that may be present in your home. If your home was construction before 1978 and the original paint is on your walls, then it’s highly likely that you have lead paint in your home. If you’re unsure what kind of paint is in your home, you can get a professional to check.

Asbestos was commonly used in insulation between 1920 and 1978. If the insulation in your home is original and your home was built before 1978, then your insulation is probably asbestos and should be replaced with non-asbestos insulation. Asbestos is a toxin which can increase the risks of developing cancer.

Plumbing can be another source of toxicity in your home. If you have old pipes running through your home, lead and other toxins can accumulate over time and make your tap water toxic. Additionally, older pipes can leak and cause mold growth, which can affect your lungs. If walls feel damp or the area smells musty, then you’ve likely got mold growing in that section of the house.

Carpets, vacuums, drapes, and bed linens are also common sources of indoor pollution. Make sure they are regularly cleaned (invest in a vacuum with a HEPA filter to help ensure that dust doesn’t escape while you’re vacuuming) and there are adequate light and ventilation where they are.

Windows can also contribute to indoor health problems. Drafty windows can allow dust and pollen into your home, while windows that are not properly aligned in their frames can allow moisture in, which can cause mold to grow. Window replacement will eliminate all of the problems.

To find out more about how doing a whole-house Milpitas, CA window replacement can improve your health, you can talk with our expert team at California Custom Creations. You can see us at 1406 Melwood Drive, San Jose, CA 95118, or you can call us at (408) 316-6293 to make an appointment for a free in-home consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *