Before You Start That Renovation…February 22, 2021
When is it Time for Replacement Windows?March 8, 2021
Both wood and vinyl replacement windows in San Jose, CA have plenty of positive benefits, but they each offer some downsides, too. Vinyl windows and wood windows are the most common types of windows for both replacement and new construction projects. Windows are a big investment, so it’s important to choose the right type of window. To make the best choice, think about vinyl and wood windows in terms of materials, maintenance, insulation, appearance, and cost. Use the following breakdown to guide you in your choice so you can enjoy your new windows for years to come.
- Materials – Vinyl windows are made from polyvinyl chloride or PVC. This rigid, man-made plastic is ideal for windows. Vinyl windows also have other materials like plastic and metal used for the sash and hook mechanisms. Wood windows are typically made from Douglas fir or pine wood on the inside and are often covered with PVC, aluminum, or fiberglass on the outside.
- Maintenance – One of the best things about vinyl windows is that they require little to no maintenance. They never need to be sealed or repainted, and only require an easy cleaning with mild soap and water every so often. However, since the color is permanent, you are stuck with whatever color you initially chose. Wood windows, on the other hand, need a lot of maintenance. They need to be repainted and resealed frequently to keep them looking and functioning at an optimum level. Wood windows have a tendency to rot and warp in wet weather or extreme temperature changes, so it’s important to keep a close eye on them.
- Insulation – Vinyl windows are effective insulators as vinyl has a low heat and cold conduction rate. However, most inexpensive vinyl window frames are hollow, and therefore allow some temperature transference between the outside air and your home. Wood windows provide excellent insulation. Wood naturally inhibits cold and heat transmission, and is a poor energy conductor, meaning wood windows keep the heat or cold from the outside out of your home. This is especially true for steaming hot Arizona days.
- Appearance – Vinyl windows have a negative reputation when it comes to appearance as they used to only be available in limited colors. These days, however, vinyl windows are available in a wide range of colors and styles for a customized appearance. Wood windows have a lasting and traditional visual appeal that keeps your home’s exterior looking natural and classic. Wood windows can be stained or painted to match a variety of home designs and lend an elegant air to your home.
- Cost – Vinyl windows are generally about 25 percent cheaper than wood windows because they are made from synthetic materials and can be easily mass-produced. Wood windows are more expensive because they cost more money to make and are always in high demand.
California Custom Creations can provide more information on vinyl and wood windows. We offer a range of San Jose, CA replacement windows and are happy to do whatever we can to help you find the best windows for your home. Call today to learn more.